What I'm Wearing - Working From Home
Posted on March 27 2020
If you are anything like me, you are NOT experienced with the WFH lifestyle. My cousin Meg, who works remotely (every dang day) gave me some great advice the other day. So, here is some Covid Era advice for working at home.
1. Put on pants! Dressing comfy is a great perk, but too comfy (ie- roll right out of bed) and motivation can be a struggle and it's a slippery slope from there...
2. Have a dedicated office space - NOT in front of a TV, on the couch/bed or where it can be noisy (kids at home too?) Also, recreate your personal office vibe - play music, keep desk snacks, fill a water bottle, etc.
3. Stick to a schedule. Did you walk into work at 8:15 every morning with coffee in hand? Do the same going into your home office. Take lunch/coffee breaks at the same times you normally would. (This is also the opportunity for laundry/cleaning/dog walking time).
4. Stay connected with coworkers. I work remotely for a company in a different country and 3 hours behind me, but through interoffice messaging and video calls daily, communication stays open.
5. Disconnect at the end of the day. Having your office only feet from you now, it can be easy to keep working late or answer emails that would normally be for the next day. Walk away, close a door, keep the expectation that company time is valuable but so is your home time. Keep these things separate.
6. Enjoy the slippers, puppy/cat co-workers and no commute or anyone else using your favorite coffee mug.